Thursday, May 1, 2008

College Prep Writing Contest 2008, First Place Winner

Congratulations Javas Jackson

First Place Winner


The most painful but rewarding experience in my life

I have a lot of painful but rewarding experiences in my life. The one that sticks out the most is when I got fired from my job at City Furniture without an explanation. The most rewarding experience that came from it was that I became closer to my family. Also I was able to find a great career and go to school to pursue a college degree.

Losing my job at City Furniture really hurt me financially and emotionally. I put my heart in that company and was prepared to spend the rest of my life there. City Furniture was put before my family by me working overnight, every weekend, twelve hours a day and every holiday. Whenever they needed anything from me they got it. I gave one hundred percent on every task with no questions asked. It really hurt the day I got fired because all the people I had worked with for years turned their back on me.

After losing my job I spent a lot of time at home thinking. That's when I realized that I had been missing out of my family's life. I had always thought by making a lot of money everyone would automatically be happy. I was missing out on my kids growing up and being a good husband to my wife. It took me to lose my job to really appreciate my family and how much they mean to me. I love playing, eating dinner and being a great father to my family.

I love my career as a bus operator. I'm a people's person and love to interact and meet different people. With this career it is not demanding as what I had at City Furniture. I make a lot less money, but also a lot less stress. I'll make that trade any day to be able to see my family every morning when they wake up and every night before they go to bed. I see a big future with my career now because its no limit on how far I can advance. Whereas, at City Furniture I had reach the ceiling as a operation manager.

One of my long term goals in my life was getting a college degree. When I started working at City Furniture going back to school started to be less of a goal, especially when I started to move up in the company and get more responsibility. Now I have time to work, be a family man, and go to college. Its kind of fun for me to be doing homework and my son ask me question like he's my father. At the same time it motivates him to want to do his homework. I won't stop until I at least have a master degree.

From experience I learned that money can't buy happiness and to never put anything before my family. Jobs and monetary things come and go, but your family will be there forever. Years I lost can never be regained, but I will appreciate all to come. There are thousand of careers and I just happen to find one that fit in with my family and school. I will always pursue my goals and want let anything side track me from that.

No comments: