Thursday, October 8, 2015

Do you know Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed, Moses, Vishnu, Joseph Smith, or Yahweh? By Dr. Michael Lenaghan



I can honestly say that I know each of these individuals and have graded their academic, experiential, simulation and service learning performances, endorsed them for transfer and scholarship applications and championed them for internships and awards, even been their reference for employment. It is quite humbling to realize that my scholar named Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed, Moses, Vishnu, Joseph Smith and Yahweh actually may need my support to reach the next level of anything. On the other hand, one of the things that I do rather well is that I ascertain the dominant “multiple intelligences” that each of my scholars demonstrates in her or his learning performance which tends to be predictive of each student’s disposition to success in specific learning and teaching environments. My existential analyses, critiques and conclusions pertaining to each of these divinely derived namesakes adds to advancement and higher spirits among my scholars which is gratifying to me, glorifying to them, comforting to their parents.


With so many scholars from so many places, with so many ethnicities and nationalities from so many geographies, with so many cultures and languages from so many tribes, indigenous and ignominious, with so many religious affiliations and identities and with so many delicious scarves, blouses, slacks, dresses and diverse apparels, why should it be surprising that one or more cohorts of scholars would have normal names for individuals in one context that appear abnormal, maybe offensive, to others? Each day at our college and in my classrooms I encounter colleagues and scholars bearing the names of Divinities, Prophets (Peace Be Unto Him), Saviors, Charismatic Messengers, Messianic Founders, Saints, Holy Ones, Martyrs, and Spirits. To affiliated believers these names are sacred, sometimes venerated, occasionally never spoken or written but implied in any one language. 


Living in multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-religious and multi-lingual Miami – microcosm of the world – not only enlightens, enriches, enhances and enlivens my life but it also equips me to have some unanticipated consequences that are beneficial, protective and even motivational.


Approached by a zealous well-meaning, proselytizing Christian on an elevator, I have been asked: “Do you know Jesus?” When I respond by saying, “I not only know him but he is earning good grades and may get a transfer scholarship!” My response is a conversation stopper, an intensity reducer and a humorous relaxant to all in the elevator, when I leave at the next stop on the elevator. I was not anxiously pursued nor angrily admonished by the zealot, who probably had a sense of humor too. Confrontations about religious belief need not be conflagrations.


When asked by a kind and caring older scholar “whether I might know of the peace that Buddha brings through meditation and chanting,” I respond that “my Buddy (aka Buddha) is more like someone with ADD and a tendency to rap.” Not wanting to be offensive, I accepted some readings shared by a conscientious and caring student who now realizes that he may need to be clearer in articulating his intentions when sharing something as precious as belief.


One of my intense scholars, a member of a particular Islamic denomination, asked me if I knew “the power of Mohammed’s (PBUH) divine insights and inspiration in describing and delineating the connections, hereditary history and synergies among all ‘People of the Book’”? My response was: “My Mohamed (aka Moe) has trouble determining what the author has to say about the people and their roles in a democracy presented in our textbook in a Federal Government class. I had no idea he had key information about how other people related in the text of another book.” With self-deprecating humor, I signaled that my student interrogator should define her purpose, terms and meanings for what may be a very interesting discussion about how she is experiencing being a Muslim in a religiously diverse Miami. In a comfortable and ironic exchange, we may have opened a door to a deeper, inspired, safe and friendly conversation. And those nearby witnessed an exploratory conversation about an important topic.


Moses, Vishnu, Joseph Smith and Yahweh namesakes also inhabit my course rosters and classrooms, hallways and community pathways. Each is a human being designated to be worthy of a name precious in a different Faith tradition. On the one hand each of us (like Michael named for an Archangel in several religious traditions) has an awesome expectation placed upon us when we were designated to be informed, imbued or inspired by potential as great as our name. On the other hand, our name is a gift from someone who loved us and probably chose the name with care and hopes. However, first and second names, occasionally a surname, may be a signpost or signal to strangers that we have a predetermined or predestined mission or affiliation that defines who we are and our relationships to others  – some open, some closed, some suspicious, some paranoid at the unknown – around us. And the Shakespearian concept: “What’s in a name. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet” is not always operative or in play. 


In a world whose history has suffered from Crusades, Jihads, Pogroms, Ethnic Cleansing and Genocide, it is important to know the “stranger”, “the other”, “the alternative”, “the non-sister and non-brother” as a human being, person, neighbor and member of the community before casting a net or building a wall to capture, convert or conceal their real identities – starting with first names, their actual meanings and the identity of the human being currently wearing that name, their history, their present and their aspirations for the future – and not live in a pernicious, prejudiced and self-limiting – other-inhibiting bubble. It’s easy. Start with “my name is … and the menaing of my name to me is…! And what is your name and its meaning?”

2014 © Michael J. Lenaghan

No comments: