Monday, June 18, 2007

A College Student by Amarilys Reyes

2007 North Campus
College Prep Writing Contest SECOND PLACE WINNER

I never imagined myself taking the steps necessary to become a college student. Growing up in a house where I was always considered the lazy one, it did not offer much hope for me to pursue a college degree. Seven years after graduating high school, I have realized that I have learned a lot of things from finally becoming a college student. Once I became a college student, I learned how to be more responsible, open to criticism, and optimistic.

I learned how to be more responsible because I am the only one who can get things done for myself. If I want a good grade on a test, it’s up to me to study in order to get the good grade. It takes all my willpower to be responsible enough to stay in school and not drop out. In the past, I have attempted returning to school, but I never gave it the fair chance it deserved and I quit before I even started. That was a time in my life, in which, I was not ready to accept the responsibility that going to school would bring. Now that I am ready, I have accepted school and it has taught me to be responsible.

Criticism is an important lesson to learn from school. Every time you enter a classroom, you have to be open to the criticism of your teacher and peers, if you can’t accept criticism, then you might as well not attend school. By taking remedial classes, I have learned that I can be wrong, but don’t take it the wrong way; I listen to the comments that others make and learn how to correct the things that are wrong. Criticism is a step to learning, but before you can begin to learn, you have to learn how to accept criticism.

Last, but not least, optimism is the best lesson I have learned from being a college student. Optimism has taught me to see the light at the end of the tunnel. By continuing my role as a college student, I am optimist to the different job opportunities that I will have for my future. A good future is important to me and optimism will remind me each day of the different possibilities. Optimism is also what helps us follow our goals. Without optimism, our goals would seem impossible and our lack of hope will cause us to drop out. All in all, being a college student has taught me to be responsible, accept criticism, and be optimistic. If I would have not learned those three things, chances are that I would have not continued in school this time around either.

No comments: