Monday, December 6, 2010

Loneliness by Professor Pasley

The Christmas holiday approaches and I should be happy and gay; I have everything, but I am not. Why you ask?

First let me tell you that I am not a famous person or a beautiful woman, but I am a human being who feels. That's the only important thing that matters here.

You may say that I have everything that I could possibly want. However, I don't have love and affection and the caring of another human being. I am lonely.

I understand why loneliness can kill you, why so many are driven to commit suicide during this time. You can belong to all the right clubs, social groups, have all the funniest friends to make you laugh,, but if you are lonely you feel like you are surrounded by a windstorm and you are a grain of sand that did not get caught in the storm.

You want to go to sleep because that's the only thing that gets rid of the pain you are feeling. When you are sleeping nothing bothers you. You can dream, sometimes good sometimes bad.

A lot of people who will possibly read this will say why don't you get some male companionship or a few. Is that the real answer, to just sleep around.

Oh! I forgot to mention there are a lot of lonely people right at this place. Sleeping around is a band-aid; it's not real and will eventually lead to destruction if you are not careful.

There is no reason I should be sitting in the workroom with tears in my eyes when I have so much to look forward to.

So why am I so lonely? Why am I alone?

Why are there so many others like myself (professional, none, loved by most, respected by all) Why am I lonely? Why do I not want to go to my beautiful home? Why do I not want night to come knowing it's only me?

The holidays are a terrible time to be alone more people commit suicide than at any other time. People will say I would not let anybody know that I was lonely. Well I will and I am a professor at this college who is lonely and who cares about all the others who are too.

There are so many other things I could say to let you know what being lonely is, but all I am going to say is that if this holiday you find yourself lonely like me, remember there is a God and he will send someone to make you smile and to let you know you are seen and that someone cares about you

To every person in this place be they student, president, or professor let's make an effort to let loneliness not be in our holiday or anyone else's. Happy Holidays.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I concur, what an interesting piece.