Wednesday, December 3, 2014

A Warm Farewell to Developmental Ed. by Marlene Cueto

December 2014


As the fall semester comes to a close, I wanted to formally say thank you to all of the people at Miami-Dade College that through the years have deeply touched my life.   Many of you may not be aware, but I attended Miami-Dade College in 1984 as a student and soon began working as a peer tutor in the study skills and writing areas of what was then, I believe, Basic Communication Studies.

Rather than pursue a degree in accounting, my original major,  I soon discovered that my love for reading, writing and working with students meant I had to follow a new path.   And I did just that and I have never regretted that decision. 

After 30 wonderful years, I now prepare to say goodbye to one department as I say hello to a new one.  However, very little changes for me because my students continue being my priority. I want them to feel the joy of acquiring knowledge rather than view learning as a tedious chore.    If nothing else, I want them all to learn that they possess the ability to accomplish anything they desire. They just have to believe. 


"You must find the place inside yourself where nothing is impossible."
 Deepak Chopra




Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all......

Marlene Cueto

  




2 comments:

Alda Noronha-Nimmo said...

Dear Marlene,

There are no goodbyes - only "I will see you around". You will continue to be my colleague. I know that the English Department is going to be happy to have you, and I hope your 'stay' there will be as memorable as the one at College Prep. Alda

javier.duenas said...

You will definitely be sorely missed! My only regret is that we won't be close enough to learn even more from your teaching methods, advice, and experiences, but at least we still know where to find you!