Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Questions You Should Never Say or Ask A Person with a Disability by Tacara Turner


I was born with a disability called Cerebral Palsy. It affects my joints and muscles, so because [of] this I am in a wheelchair. I know that people have questions, and I don’t mind answering them. However, sometimes the questions are crazy. I don’t know what to say to some of them. I have to ask myself, “Did they just ask me that?” and “Can she talk?” I hate this when people ask because they don’t ask me. [They] ask the person with me. If people just ask me, they would get the clear cut answer. Yes I can talk and sometimes talk too much.

Never ask a person with a disability “What happened to you?” Many people are born with their disabilities. A lot more people get their disabilities later in life. When you ask this question, you may bring back bad memories.

“Are you stupid?” That is the most hurting question I get asked. Usually a little kid will ask me that. Sometime I get adults that ask me that too. When kids do that, I just walk away. It’s hard for me to know what to do when adults do it.

Please avoid asking these questions. Here is a good question to ask: Do you need help?


1 comment:

miracle said...

You did a phenominal job on this piece :)! this piece shows how many people feel when being asked those questions,and i'm glad your able to have a voice for the disabled...having a disablity doesn't limit you itonly gives that much more ability"to prove to others that "If I can do it so can you" !!! AWESOME :D