Monday, June 9, 2008

Journal Entry by Adrian Diaz

Journal Entry # 5
4/15/08

Today I promised Molly I would take her to the beach. She hasn’t seen the sun for days. I’m amazed at how well she’s held her composure since she was diagnosed with cancer almost a month ago. She’s such a remarkable person. Sometimes I can’t believe how grown up we both have become. It seems like just yesterday, we were playing in sand boxes and making funny faces at out kindergarten teacher Mrs. Rizzo. When arrived at the beach, Molly insisted on taking as many photographs of us as she could. We flopped around in the shore, created sand angels, and conversed with random people that were seated near us. We had a marvelous time. In the car ride home, she became a bit emotional. “Will you forget about me once I’m gone?” she asked. I wanted to be strong for her, but I just didn’t know how to be. We both began to tear-up. I assured Molly that I loved her so very much and that I would never ever forget her. She will always remain in my heart. I kissed her softly on the forehead and she threw her arms around me tightly. We sat in the parking lot of her apartment and just cried.

1 comment:

Reflections Magazine editor said...

As I distributed papers, I asked my students to read this post. A few sat in awe, one wiped the tears that rolled down her face and others read it a second time. For a few seconds or minutes perhaps, my class sat quietly reflecting as I watched them. In such few words, this writer communicated so much. What skill, what talent...how powerful the words.